Bruise like marks on legs, pain on touching, unable to stand for long, shooting pain. Blood clot?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
My mom has two bruise-like marks on her leg. Looks like the result of hitting her leg and possibly affecting a vein, but she's had it for three months. Additional symptoms include pain when you touch the marks, she can't stand for long and sometimes has a shooting pain that feels like she is being pricked by a needle. She thinks it may be a blood cot. What do you think this may be?
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
Your mother has symptoms of a peripheral vascular disease mostly a varicose vein problem or thrombophlebitis.
Varicose veins are dilated tortuous veins especially leg veins causing following symptoms:

1 Aching, heavy legs (often worse at night and after activity).
2 Appearance of spider veins and Ankle swelling of affected leg
3 A brownish-blue shiny skin discoloration near the affected veins.
4 Redness, dryness, and itchiness of areas of skin, termed venous eczema.
5 Cramps may develop especially when making a sudden move as standing up.
So I would advise you consult a general or vascular surgeon for confirmation of diagnosis by thorough physical examination and investigation like venous doppler ultrasound if required.
The treatment would depend on the severity and includes compressive stockings , analgesics, physiotherapy or injection of sclerosants or surgery.
Hope I have answered your query.
Follow-up: Bruise like marks on legs, pain on touching, unable to stand for long, shooting pain. Blood clot? 2 hours later
Thank you, Dr. XXXXXXX Can you refer my mother to a general or vascular surgeon in Alpharetta, XXXXXXX or Atlanta, XXXXXXX please?
Thanks for the follow up.

As all the doctors mentioned on this site are competent, you can use this application to find a general surgeon near you.
You can go to WWW.WWWW.WW for more details.

Once the diagnosis is confirmed, the surgeon may start conservative management or refer to a vascular surgeon for surgery if required.

Alternatively, you may visit any multi-specialty hospital where you can have all doctors and investigation facilities under one roof for your convenience.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.