Bruise above the hip, tender lump. What might it be, advise?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Question
I'm 58. recently a bruise appeared on my left side, above and slightly removed my hip, equal to and about 6 inches from my belly button. there is a small lump that feels attached to something. it's tender to the touch but not painful. i'm in good shape, work out regularly and haven't strained anything. unless i touch it, it doesn't bother me.

what might it be?
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 4 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX

I would request you to kindly provide me with additional information as to understand your problem better:

1. was there history of trauma?
2. Does the bruise overly the lump?
3. Are you sure that the lump was absent before?
4. Do you have fever?
5. Is the appearance of the bruise healthy or unhealthy?
6. Have you taken treatment until now for the same?

Awaiting your response

With Regards

Follow-up: Bruise above the hip, tender lump. What might it be, advise? 5 hours later
1) no
2) it did but is fading
3) yes I'm sure
4) no
5) normal bruise
6) no.

thanks

Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 1 hour later

From the additional information you have given and assuming your umbilicus to be normal the lump appears to be a soft tissue swelling. It could be inflammatory or a benign soft tissue mass like lipoma.

Considering your age, a short duration of the problem it is difficult to judge the exact nature of the lump and the reason for bruise. It would be prudent to get it examined by a primary physician in your area. If he is in doubt the next step is to go in for a FNAC which is fine needle aspiration cytology that establishes the diagnosis.

Hope my opinion is of some help to you.

With Regards.