Brown spots below child's navel, now black with surrounding redness, not sensitive. What could cause such an issue?

My 4 year-old son had three brown spots that appeared just below his navel yesterday after playing outside. Tonight, they are black with a little redness around the area. They are not sensitive to the touch. Anyone know what could cause such an issue? Thanks.
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later

The lesion your child has could be a contusion (seeping of the blood into the layers of the skin ) which occurs due to minor trauma, most of times unnoticed while playing.Need not worry it is self limiting and do not need any medication .Applying Ice cubes over the affected area my reduce the inflammation and fasten its disappearance.

Look for any increase in the size and swelling if appears ,If so then you may have to get him examined by a doctor who after examination plan specific management.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.