Ask a Dentist   »  

Brown spot on tongue, smoker, very small, minor pain. Causes ?

Hi, i have a greenish/brownish colored spot under my tongue,im a 23 year male smoker,wad cld it be? its very small, its as if its a pen XXXXXXX or something, i do have some pain when i use my tongue and press down on the floor of the mouth though.

pls advise
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 12 minutes later
The greenish or brownish colored spot that you noticed now is most likely a remnant of a small bruise/ haemorrhage/ injury under your oral mucosa.
The collection of blood when it becomes old it starts degrading on its own and starts showing changes in its color from red to blue then black then brown followed by XXXXXXX and lastly it disappears.
The pain is due to a small injury that might have incurred in that area resulting in such a small bleed.

Regarding the treatment, nothing needs to be done as it is going to resolve on its own in next 7-10 days. If there is an increase in pain or the size of the colored area increases then it needs to be examined and treated accordingly.

Lastly and most important as I advice you to start trials to quit smoke. This is really important given its multitude problems on multiple organs. Take assistance from an Addiction medicine specialist.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. If there are additional concerns, I am available for your followups.
Follow-up: Brown spot on tongue, smoker, very small, minor pain. Causes ? 1 hour later
thanks for your answer.

do u think it is cancer?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

Thanks for writing back.

The chances of it being cancer is near to zero.

If the lesion starts growing, becomes irregular, itchy, deeply pigmented, develops sores on it, etc then only you need to get it examined from a specialist.

Sincerely hope it will help. Wishing you an early recovery.
Thank you doc

pls a few more questions,pls bear with me.

1. sometimes when i stretch my skin it seems less but its only a small grey ( nt sure wad color ) dot,like e dot a pen will make on a paper. if it doesnt go away after 1 month but does not increase/become irregular/raised then can i ignore it also? fast does it take for it to become irregular/raised/big assuming its cancer?

3.How fast does oral cancer spread? fast or slow? if fast roughly how long and slow roughly how long?

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 23 minutes later
If the lesion in your mouth does not show any detrimental change then you can ignore it also like a mole.
The time taken for transition into cancer depends on the lesion and varies from person to person. There is no fixed time interval.
The spread of oral cancer is comparatively slow - varies from person to person. Even if it spreads, the cure rate is good and response to radiation therapy is also good. The five year survival rate after cure is almost 100%.
Hope this satisfies your curiosity.