Ask a Urologist   »  

Brown discharge while urination. No burning or pain. What can be the reason for this?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
This question is about my father,
He just told me that after he urinates he has a small amount of brown discharge. everything else is normal his urine is clear starts and stops normal but ends with a brown discharge. he said it looks just like brown semen. he has no burning or pain.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
A brown colored discharge after urination is indicative of infection. This infection can be due to urethritis, prostatitis, balanitis (infection of the foreskin) or epidiymitis.
He needs a comprehensive profile of investigations including semen examination, culture, urine culture and examination, PSA levels, STD panel for gonorrhea, swab samples and a cystoscopy if needed to rule out any urethritis.
You should consult a urologist and get the appropriate investigations done under his guidance. Till that time, ask him to retract the foreskin daily and soak in warm water to clean penis and foreskin. Wear cotton clothes and use as mild soap like Cetaphil for cleaning the penis.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.