Bromhidrosis and body odour caused by bacteria. What type of doctor should I consult?

Hi I have a 16 yr old son who has bromhidrosis , body odor caused by bacteria. We have tried several remedies that works only for a while. I am interested in taking him to a specialist for help. What type of doctor should I take him to who can directly treat this condition ? I came up with this diagnosis on my own due to all I have read. His dermatologist did determine that he does have a bacteria in his body causing the body odor and sweat. Please help!
Posted Sat, 9 Nov 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Body odor is mostly caused by germs, especially the bacteria. The issue is that bacteria go away with medicines, but cam come back.
Another thing to understand is that it is normal for some people to sweat more and have a body odor. They still continue to live normal lives.

Regarding your first query, dermatologist is the doctor you should take him to.

I don't think that he will need oral medicines. The body odor can be easily managed with topical creams. My choice of cream is Acnemol available over the counter at most pharmacies. It contains sulphur which takes care of bacteria and other flora causing body odor. After spreading it over the troublesome area, keep it overnight and wash it out in the morning. It takes care of the body odor for a long time as compared with deoderants that just work for a few hours. Mostly a single application is enough. Sometimes a repeat application may be needed in a week.

Apart from acnemol and routine deoderants, Alum cube is also found to have deoderant properties and can be used like a deoderant. The good part is that it has lesser side-effects. To use this, wet the alum and apply it over the affected part.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr Vaishalee

Follow-up: Bromhidrosis and body odour caused by bacteria. What type of doctor should I consult? 2 days later
Thank you for your response; however, we have gone to many drug stores, health stores and have not been able to find the Acnemol and the Alum cube. Most have not heard of it. We are in South Carolina; where can we obtain these products? Do I need a prescription after all?
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
3% sulphur containing drug

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

I think Acnemol may not be available in your city. In that case you can buy any other cream that has sulphur 3%, 5% or 8% in it. The higher the percentage, more strong is the cream. I will suggest that you go for lesser percentage. Clearasil Vanishing Acne Treatment Cream 18 g (that has sulphur 3%) can be a good alternative. If you do not find this one either, then go for any cream that has sulphur in it. Adult acnomel cream has 8% sulphur. There are many available.

You can also try soap that has sulphur in it like Sulpholac soap, etc.

You do not need a prescription for it. These products are available over-the-counter at most pharmacies in the isle for acne medicines or skin care products.

Alum cube should be available at some Indian Grocery store.

Good luck!

Dr Vaishalee