Broke out pustules with swelling in hand and feet. Had psoriasis. What does this mean?

I am 29 yr old whit e female just graduated from college with my masters, very stressful time and planning a wedding in sept. I just broke out in pustules with some swelling on my hands. The soles of my feet have this too. I have had psoriasis on my elbows for 7 years now and it has never gone away. What is this new breakout?
I have pictures if needed.
Posted Sun, 27 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 11 hours later

I have gone through the details provided and was able to view the pictures sent too. The most likely possibility in your case is "Pompholyx" or "Pustular Psoriasis" - Both conditions are related to stress.

I may be able to help you better if you could answer the questions below:

- Is it the first time you are having such bumps?
- Is your psoriasis controlled/ what medication you are taking for it?
- Are the bumps painful?
- Is there exfoliation of skin (peeling) over palms and soles?

Reply to above questions and I would be able to help you better.

Waiting for your reply.

Dr Sudarshan
Follow-up: Broke out pustules with swelling in hand and feet. Had psoriasis. What does this mean? 8 hours later
Yes this is the first time. no my psorsiasis is not controlled, no meds, I have no insurance, yes the bumps are painful ,no peeling of the skin yet and I have been very stressed. Thank you. I also smoke and I am on oral contraceptives.
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 2 hours later

I have gone through your answers.

According to your description few things come to my mind without physical examination, they are pompholyx and Palmoplantar psoriasis. A close up look and skin biopsy may be needed to confirm the diagnosis.

My advise to you would be to visit a competent dermatologist .

A topical steroid antibiotic combination may be required along with oral analgesic, anti inflammatory anti histaminics. As these are prescription medication you must visit your dermatologist for getting them.

Both the above conditions are benign and there is nothing to be worried of.

Meanwhile you can take zyrtec tablet, analgesic like paracetamol and apply aloe vera lotion which is available as over the counter (OTC) products.

If you have any further queries I would be happy to answer them.

Dr Sudarshan