Breathlessness, heart palpitations, painful, claustrophobic, heart failure history, soreness in chest. Serious?

Cardiologist
Question
I am a 25 year old female and lately after going on a hike in high altitude I began experiencing shortness of breath and heart palpitations that were painful but went away in seconds. I have claustrophobia which sometimes causes me shortness of breath and I have experienced heart palpitations before but I haven't given it that much attention since they tend to go away in a second. I am worried this could be something serious related to my heart since I have a history of heart failure in my family. After 3 days I still don't feel one hundred percent better. I have soreness on my left upper side of the chest, directly behind it on my back, and lower back that is very light and my shortness of breath is going away but I am worried.
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Gopi A 15 hours later

It is normal to experience shortness of breath and heart palpitations when you go on a hike in high altitude.

Your claustrophobia is making it worse.

You should not be worried about it even though there is a family history of heart failure.

Heart failure and heart related problems seem to be a remote possibility in your case.

You are experiencing all these symptoms due to the stress of hiking.

I advise you to take rest for a day or two, take simple analgesics at home, Remove the stress from your mind.

Your tendency to get anxious may be worsening it.

Do not worry, you will be fine and definitely it is not related to your heart.

I will be available for your follow up queries if any.

Hope my suggestions will help you.

Follow-up: Breathlessness, heart palpitations, painful, claustrophobic, heart failure history, soreness in chest. Serious? 9 hours later
It was not a very strenuous hike, It was about 1 and a half hours long. What could the chest/back soreness be related to? It is not a pain that hurts a lot but it is an unexplained soreness since I have not worked out ever since the hike (4 days ago)

Answered by Dr. Gopi A 17 hours later

Good to hear from you again.

Though the exercise was not strenous, you could have strained a muscle due to prolonged exercises.

I am confident from your history that the symptoms are due to musculoskeletal strain and not related to any Cardiac abnormality.

Hope this answers your query.

Wish you a early recovery.

Follow-up: Breathlessness, heart palpitations, painful, claustrophobic, heart failure history, soreness in chest. Serious? 3 hours later
Thank you so much for your diagnosis. I am on vacation and went to see the hotel doctor and she told me something very similar. She recommended I take Keterolac (Dolac) 10 mg every 8 hours for 5 days for the swelling and pain to go away. Is this a good medication for this? Sorry this will be my last question.

Answered by Dr. Gopi A 10 hours later
Hello again,

Thanks for writing back.

You need not be sorry for asking queries, It is my pleasure to answer them.

The medicine is good and right. You can take it. You Could stop it once the pain is gone. You may not need it for 5 days.

Hope I have answered your queries.