Breakout of single red flat marking throughout the body. What could it be?

My 14 year old son has broken out into these oval red flat markings. they are individual and not clustered on his upper body. they r apx 3/4 XXXXXXX tip to tip

Posted Thu, 13 Jun 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 2 hours later
Thanks for your query

Considering your description of the events and the skin lesions, I suspect that your son has developed lesions of pityriasis rosea.

But before we can be sure about things, I would like if you can click some close up pictures of the skin rash and upload them here on this page. You can also email the pictures to YYYY@YYYY with subject line as “attention to Dr. Geethika Paul”.

Also I would like to know more about the onset and progression of the skin rash. Also please tell if the skin rash is associated with any itching. Was there history of any preceding cough or cold.
I would surely be able to help you more if you can give me a detailed history regarding the sequence of events which lead to the skin rash.

Waiting for the pictures and your response

Dr Geetika Paul
Follow-up: Breakout of single red flat marking throughout the body. What could it be? 9 hours later

Thank you for being so caring and weighing in. The rash's have just appeared about three days ago. Located on his upper body and now spreading on the rear and lower neck and on his back. XXXXXXX is feeling fine.

About a year ago pimples appeared on his chest and lower sides ontghe upper body. Our doctor determined it was some sort of virus break out, like zits, and true to his advise they cleared after a few months. These current markings are different. They are not raised and not itching....yet. I will also e-mail you the pictures in case the attachment did not upload correctly
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 44 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

I have seen the attached pictures. Your son has developed lesions of Pityriasis rosea.

Now don't be afraid because of the name itself. I can assure you this is a harmless self limiting type of skin disease which may take 4 to 6 weeks to settle completely.

Pityriasis rosea is actually a kind of skin disease which usually follows any kind of body infection which can be in the form of cold or cough. The skin lesions are oval and they remain localized to chest, back upper arms and upper thighs. These lesions appear in crops, so that few new lesions come up every few days. These can be associated with some itching. All these lesions heal up by themselves within 4 to 8 weeks in most cases leaving no scars.

Now what is important is that these are not contagious in nature and are self limiting.

Regarding the treatment, daily bathing is important which can be followed by topical application of steroids and calamine lotion which can be done twice a day if the lesions are itchy in nature. Also oral antihistamines can be given in case of severe associated itching.

A short of course of antibiotics like macrolides is given in some cases where there is associated cough and cold.

Hope it helps.

If you have any other query, please let me know.

Dr Geetika Paul