Brain zap after taking vicodin. Taking tramadol for tail-bone pain, vicodin to relieve shot site. Any other medicine in place of vicodin?

Psychiatrist
Question
I am currently prescribed Tramadol for severe tailbone pain. I will be getting surgery and will be prescribed a narcotic. My pain management doctor prescribed Vicodin to relieve the shot site after getting a shot in my cocxxy for my nerve pain and it made my brain zap and did not feel well, it also did not block the pain...seemed as though the Tramadol blocked the effect of the Vicodin. What other pain medication can I take that will not cause brain zaps and block the pain meds from working, the post surgery is going to be very painful.

Posted Sat, 27 Apr 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 3 hours later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

Vicodine is a pain medication containing Hydrocodone, which is a opioid derivative. Tramadol is a narcotic-like pain medication which also acts on opiod receptors. So, it is possible that these two medication can interact and counter each others effect.

Some persons also report side effects such as drowsiness, impaired concentration or like you say, "brain zaps" after taking opioid analgesics.

I would suggest that you try NSAIDs like Diclofenac or Ibuprofen, which will not have such kind of side effects. But ensure that you take these medication after meals in order to prevent gastric irritation.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar

Follow-up: Brain zap after taking vicodin. Taking tramadol for tail-bone pain, vicodin to relieve shot site. Any other medicine in place of vicodin? 7 hours later
I need to know what other opiates will help with post surgery pain that does not counter tramadol?
Obviously, I am not going to get the answer I am looking for...thanks for trying, but that was not the answer to my question.

Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 14 hours later
When any two opiates are given together, there is going to be a counter effect (what we call a competitive inhibition, where both drugs have to compete for the same opiod receptors and decrease each other's efficacy). So, it is not possible to have another opiod analgesic which will not counter the effects of Tramadol.

Usually in the post-operative period, stronger opiod analgesics, such as morphine or meperidine (demerol) may be given in the initial few days when the pain is severe, and subsequently, these may then be converted to milder ones. Also, a combination of opiod and non-opiod analgesics may also be used.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar