Brain infection, sinus infection, eye tremors, CT scan, MRI, lung scan, blood tests, spinal tap

My cousin has been diagnosed with a brain infection: These are her words: " Started w/what doc thought was sinus infection. A few days later, I couldn't breath, thought I had blood clot in left lung, then west nile, but, after many tests (ctscan's, mri, cy lung scan & extensive bloods tests) - turns our to be a bacteria that I can't seem to get over. Having eye tremors almost every day, but not as long periods. I do have lung, heart, neuro, and ent working on this crazy case. Possible spinal tap will be ordered by heart doctor this week - see him tomorrow". Any ideas? Thanks so much, XXXXXXX:)
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later

From her wordings, it seems that your cousin had first a sinus infection which was not treated seriously and the infection then spread to the brain.

The infection usually does not show up in the investigations like CT, MRI,etc.

The blood reports might suggest some infection but cannot usually localize the source of infection.

To diagnose a brain infection spinal tap is the best way where the cerebrospinal fluid is examined and cultured for the evidence of any infection.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available if you have any further queries.