Ask a Dentist   »  

Bony bump over root canal treated tooth, pressure sensitive, pus. Granuloma?

Dentist, Prosthodontics
Question
I have had a bony bump for many years over root canal treated tooth done many years ago. Recently the area became pressure sensitive when touched. Dental x XXXXXXX revealed nothing. Pus formed and dentist drained. No pressure or pus now, but still have the bump. Could this be a bone structure or granuloma? Took antibiotics also.
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Dental Health

Answered by Dr. Ramesh B. Hegde 26 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX,

First of all I apologize for a delayed reply.

Bony enlargement around the periapical region of a tooth is noted after chronic infection. Once the tooth is treated with root canal treatment, the bony enlargement gradually subsides over the years. Though the bony bump does not regress, usualy it is harmless.

In your case, normal dental x-ray, sensitive/softness? of swelling upon touch, pus formation are indicative of reinfection of the root canals.

Since you have already taken the antibiotics, the pus could have subsided along with the infection. If you get simillar experience/s again, then it is better to undergo Re-rootcanal treatment.

I wish you post the Xray of the tooth taken here. You can upload the report here. Also please specify the tooth. This helps to rule out the source of infection.

Hope I answered your query. If you have further queries please let me know.

Follow-up: Bony bump over root canal treated tooth, pressure sensitive, pus. Granuloma? 5 hours later
Hi Dr,

The tooth was left front. The bump is over that tooth. It had the root canal years ago. It is above the tooth near the nasal passages on the front side of the gum. I don't have the xray, but I did see it and there was nothing showing. I assume the infection was around the tip of the root since the bump is so high. Anyway, no pain or pus now. I will go for another root canal if this happens again.

XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Ramesh B. Hegde 4 hours later

It nice to know that you have seen the X-ray personally.

Since you do not have any symptoms of infection now, you can wait.

In many individuals there may not be such relapse of infection also. I wish for the same in your case also.