Boil in underarm, applied Mupirocin, oozed pus and blood, painful. What is the solution?

I have a slight swell/minor boil in my under arms. I visited the doctor and he has suggested that I use a cream having mupirocin. Post using this cream the swelling subsides for a while but again after a week or so it becomes promiment. At times this swelling pains and then it erupts and pus & blood come out. Sometimes the pain is not tolerable so I use a cottom guaze and press and take out the blood.
What do I have and what is the solution for it?
Posted Wed, 19 Sep 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kruti 5 hours later
Thanks for posting your query. I will be glad to be of assistance.

What you most likely have is a furuncle. A furuncle is a bacterial infection of the skin.

Sometimes a cream may not be adequate to treat it.

A short course of an oral antibiotic like amoxicillin for a week will be useful. The exact dosage and duration of treatment may be prescribed by your dermatologist to rule out a condition called hidradenitis suppurativa.

That also causes similar recurrent symptoms also in the underarms.

Please let me know if you have any queries.