Blood workup has elevated bilirubin. Is it due to cholestasis?

Oct 2013

I am taking hydrochlorothiazide/lisinopril for htn. and have a bad cough. its not the lisinopril could it be the htz? my blood workup has elevated bilirubin in my blood. my dr says its due to cholestasis. wonder if I should ask him to d/c the htz. a lot of other people I meet with htn are on lisinopril only iwith no cough. my cough is bad
Posted Fri, 10 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Namala Bharadwaj 1 hour later
Brief Answer: cough is due to linsopril, jaundice due to both. Detailed Answer: Hello dear XXXXX, Thanks for your query at XXXXXXX I understand your concern. Cough is presumably due to the inhibition of the degradation of endogenous bradykinin by Linsopril that produce persistent nonproductive cough has been, always resolving after discontinuation of therapy. Hydrochlorothiazide have very less chances of cough as side effect. Cholestatic jaundice can be produced by both Linsopril and Hydrochlorothiazide. They can cause increase in bilirubin levels and other liver enzymes also. My recommendation would be if cough is interfering with your daily activity you can consult your physician for dose alteration or alternative medication for hypertension. Hope I answered your query. Regards.