Blood work showed menopause. Post menopausal bleeding, ultrasound shows endometrial complex thickened. Family history of cervical cancer. Should I be concerned?

my blood work from two years ago showed i was menopausal i stopped having my period it's been two years then last year i had some bleeding a dnc was done and no more bleeding then a year later postmenopausal bleeding sometimes very heavy ultra sounds shows endometrial complex thickened from 7.1 mm to 9.0mm in one year since last ultra sound. ultra sound was read and doctor wants me to see a specialist
cervical cancer does run in my family my mothers sister passed away form it. should i be concerned
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 5 hours later

Hello and thanks for the query.
I understand your concern and will try to tell you the various causes for postmenopausal bleeding.
Postmenopausal bleeding is bleeding from the reproductive system that occurs six months or more after menstrual periods have stopped due to menopause.

Postmenopausal bleeding can originate in different parts of the reproductive system. Bleeding from the vagina may occur because when estrogen secretion stops, the vagina dries out and can diminish (atrophy). This is the most common cause of bleeding from the lower reproductive tract.
Lesions and cracks on the vulva may also bleed. Sometimes bleeding occurs after intercourse. Bleeding can occur with or without an associated infection.
Bleeding from the upper reproductive system can be caused by:
hormone replacements
endometrial cancer
endometrial polyps
cervical cancer
cervical lesions
uterine tumors
ovarian cancer

The most common cause of postmenopausal bleeding is HRT. The estrogen in the replacement therapy eases the symptoms of menopause (like hot flashes), and decreases the risk of osteoporosis. Sometimes this supplemental estrogen stimulates the uterine lining to grow. When the lining is shed, post-menopausal bleeding occurs. Most women on HRT usually take the hormone progesterone with the estrogen, and may have monthly withdrawal bleeding. This is a normal side effect.
About 5-10% of postmenopausal bleeding is due to endometrial cancer or its precursors. Uterine hyperplasia, the abnormal growth of uterine cells, can be a precursor to cancer.
You must consult your doctor and get physically examined and get PAP test and other possible investigations like vaginal probe ultrasound,endometrial biopsy,D&C etc.
You have reason to be concerned as cervical cancer runs in your family.
Once the cause is found,treatment can be defined.
I hope to have answered your query however you can revert to me for any other  query.
Thanks and best of luck.