Blood work done to test for anaemia. Why do I feel fatigued?

I recently completed blood work to test for anemia. This testing was completed by myself (ie I used a private internet web source that uses LabCorp) The patient selects the test, goes to a clinic, and gets results back via private access.

I experience extreme unexplained fatigue. I am 35 year old male with no major medical conditions. I see a doctor regularly, but sometimes like to be more proactive
on the tests I want ordered.

My CBC w/ Differentials was normal, with a very slight "flagged" low RBC and hematocrit. This was just -barely- below normal.

Other major tests (thyroid) ... were normal. I also included these tests:
Addision's Diease Profile Tests (all normal) and Cushing's Disease Profile Tests
(all normal) I also had a normal XXXXXXX and electrolyte tests.

These following two tests were concerning:

Ferritin 34 Range 35-455 LOW
IGF-1 312 Range 110-300 HIGH
DHEA-S 88 Range 124-525 LOW

Testosterone, and T-free were both normal.

Again, my symptom is simply an unexplained profound fatigue during the day.
No muscle aches, or any other symptom.

Medical History: Nothing remarkable
GERD - Controlled by medication dx 3 years ago
History of fatigue

Age 35 M
Weight 175
Height 5 11
Normal Blood Pressure: 120/77
TSH / T3 / T4: Normal
Posted Wed, 28 Nov 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
It is good that most of your investigation reports have come back normal. This rules out any hormonal disturbance.
The generalized fatigue for last 15 days could be due to-
1. Generalized viral illness.
2. Improper diet.
3. Abnormal body posture, muscle overuse.
4. Electrolyte imbalance- Low levels of calcium and magnesium can cause these symptoms.
5. Vitamin D 3 deficiency.
6. Anxiety neurosis.
All these possibilities need to be ruled out after a proper physical examination and related blood tests.
Till the time you get evaluated for these possibilities, there are some of the lifestyle options which you can follow:
1) You can take a mild pain killer like paracetamol or ibuprofen for symptomatic relief. Taking a well balanced will be helpful.
2) Do not take caffeine or alcohol at night just before going to bed.
3) Indulge in yoga and meditation to calm your mind.
4) You can also indulge in progressive muscle relaxation which is useful in anxiety by alternately tensing and relaxing the muscles.
Take calcium, iron and B complex vitamins for few weeks.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.