Blood work done. Have osteoarthritis in all joints. What cure should be done?

My WBC count is 6.1; Monocytes 18 (High); and Monocyte (Absolute) 1.1 (High). Everything else is fairly normal except for slightly elevated cholesterol total and LDL totals. I am a 67 year old female with no recent illness, but I have osteoarthritis pretty much all through my joints.

Thank you for your help.

Posted Mon, 6 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Ioan Dorian OANA 2 hours later

Monocytes are one of the major white cells that protect the body from infection and an abnormal increase in monocytes is called monocytosis. High monocytes alone can't tell you the nature of your problem or disease and we should use the high monocyte count as only a small part of determining the cause of your illness, and the history and physical exam will be critical in finding out what's wrong with you.

The most common cause is laboratory error.

There are a number of other causes for elevated monocytes and some of them may be frightening: chronic inflammatory disease, viral disease (mononucleosis), protozoal infection (malaria) or bacterial disease (tuberculosis).

If you are well and without symptoms, then it is most likely an error in the interpretation of what is a monocyte and because you said "with no recent illness", I suppose this is the case here. Maybe just for your peace of mind, you can repeat the blood test.

If you have any more queries, feel free to ask.

Dr. Dorian Oana MD, PhD