Blood work and EKG excellent, ECHO showed mild leakage in mitral valve, Cause of worry?

Cardiologist, Interventional
This is for Dr. Prabhaker Koregol, I wrote to you around 2 weeks ago and I wanted to update yuu on my visit to my primary doctor who is an internist. I had all my bloodwork sent to him which was superb. My total choesterol was 187, HDL 72, LDL 102, Triglyserides 64 and the ratio is 2.6, everything elsse was very good. I had an EKG done in his office and he said it is excellent. I am 72 years old and I do take care of myself health wise, and I eat a healthy diet & exercise 30 min a day. He told me too take 1,000 of vitamin D. I forgot to ask him, if it is necessary for me to have an echocardiogram, because my identical twin sister had it taken, which her doctor wanted her to take, because he heard a slight murmur. The Echo showed a mild leak in the mitral valve, and its nothing to worry about. Is it generic? Do you think I should ask him about if it is necessary for me to get one.

PS Doctor, I rated you excellent.

I had a bone density test done 2 weeks ago, but the one I had done was of my hand. Is that one as thorough as the more of the body scan. I was a little disappointed with the one I had done at my doctor's office. I called yesterday to see how the results were, and the girls that answers the phone told me it was okay. My twin sister had the other one done, and she has a mild starting of ostiporouses, so her doctor has her on a pill that she has to take once a month, and also 2000 mg. of vitamin D. Is it heredity, because as I said we are identical twins.. I also had an echocardiagram done, and its 2 weeks since I had it, and when I called my doctor's office the girl told me it takes one month to get it back, with the results. Is that possible.
Posted Sun, 26 May 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 25 hours later

Things look quite good S's reports seem fine. Mild mitral leak at your age is universal (that almost everyone would have it). It can not classified as hereditary. So if your doctor has not found anything abnormal on examination you don't have to be concerned about the echocardiogram.
As for as you BMD is concerned generally if screening from thumb is normal and you don't have specific focal signs such as severe backache or knee pain, etc., - its adequate. And if its normal you don't need supplements .
It's quite surprising that echo report is taking a month to get. Generally it is prepared immediately after the test. There must have been some misunderstanding the front office girls, please recheck with them.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarification.

Follow-up: Blood work and EKG excellent, ECHO showed mild leakage in mitral valve, Cause of worry? 3 hours later
Can taking the pill Ibandronate sodium tablets for osteoporosis cause a flu like symptoms with a raise in temperature after 12 hours taking the pill. Is that a reaction, this is the 2nd time she took it. The pill is taken once a month. I'm concerned.
Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 5 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Yes, it is known side effect. Known to occur in about 3% of patient can occur recurrently and self limiting.

If it is causing difficulty you can ask for the anti inflammatory medications.

Follow-up: Blood work and EKG excellent, ECHO showed mild leakage in mitral valve, Cause of worry? 14 hours later
I called the doctor's office today, to find out about my echocardiogram which I took on April 19th and the girl at the front desk told me its not there yet, and she seemed annoyed when I asked her. I even hate to call any more to find out how the test results are. When my sister went for her echo, her's came back after 12 days, and when she called her doctor, the girl at the front desk was very nice, and she told her, that she will tell the doctor to call her and let her know her results. Which he did. But the girl in my doctor's office is very rude, and I hate to call again.
Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 18 hours later
As I have already discussed with you in my previous reply you do not have to pre occupied with report of your echo. It is unlikely to show any major abnormality. How someone responds is purely his or her personal trait and how much strained in the office. You do not have to be judgmental about it. Just wait for report.