Blood test showed normal T3, high T4 and very low TSH. What is the significance of this reading?

Question
I had a blood test done, which showed normal T3, high T4 (16) and very low TSH (0.01). I've been taking 125 mcg of thyroxine for many years. What is the significance of this reading?
Posted Thu, 1 Nov 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later

The readings of the thyroid hormones you mentioned above indicate hyperthyroid state.

This could be due to the exogenous thyroid hormone you are on.Since the T4 is high and TSH is low it is very clear that lowering the thyroxine dosage will surely get the hormones within range.Reduction in the dosage has to be done in a tapering manner by observing the T4 and TSH levels.Tapering dosage has to be followed to prevent unmasking of the hypothyroid state for which you might have been placed on thyroxine previously. Some clinicians wish to repeat the test after a week in case you do not have any complaints to make dose modifications, please be aware.

Hope I answered your query.Please do ask doubts, if any.

Follow-up: Blood test showed normal T3, high T4 and very low TSH. What is the significance of this reading? 12 hours later
How long will it take for the result of reduced dosage to reflect in blood tests?

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 17 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Reduction in the dosage will surely effect take effect in 3 months.

Hope I cleared ur doubt.

Follow-up: Blood test showed normal T3, high T4 and very low TSH. What is the significance of this reading? 5 hours later
Thank you. Could you please suggest a schedule for tapering the dosage?

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 9 hours later

I consider it better for your treating doctor to formulate the dosage titration as he would have studied your thyroid status since long.

It would be unethical and XXXXXXX to alter or change the dosage of the medication you are on, without examining you.

regards,