Blood test showed high monocytes count, glucose and hemoglobin level. What is causing this?

Dear sir,
my blood test report readings are :-glucose fasting 88(plasma) ,hemoglobin 14.8 ,HDL 38.2, LDL 118.2 ,monocytes count is 13.2 which is perhaps on higher side . I also suffer from bronchitis in winter season( New Delhi) and lumber spondylotic and disc degenerative changes associated with annular disc bulge at L4-5 indenting ventral thecal sac and bilateral existing ventral nerve root. my age is 50 years and weight remains around 55-57 kgs and Bp remains between 65-100 and 70-115 and height is 165cms.

would you pl advice what can be the real cause of high monocytes or as you thing appropriate course of action.

with thanks and regards

Posted Sun, 6 Jan 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Aparna Amritsagar 1 hour later
Thanks for writing your query to us.

Monocytes can rise in various inflammatory disorders, infections and certain forms of cancer. Normal monocyte count is 2 -10. In your case,there is a small increase in monocytes that could be due a mild infection. This also could be a part of stress response.Your increased count is borderline, and the levels being considered as normal should be of no great concern.Consult your treating physician so that he can examine you & find out if there is any focus of infection since you are already a known case of bronchitis.

Rest your cholesterol & sugar levels are normal. But still to keep them within normal limits further also continue eating high fibre diet.

Your MRI – suggest lumbar lordosis along with degenerative disc disease affecting your L4,L5,S1 vertebre & which is putting pressure on your nerve roots. This are age related changes. Degenerative disc disease is a spinal condition caused by the breakdown of your intervertebral discs. As you age, your spine begins to show signs of wear and tear as your discs dry out and shrink. These age-related changes can lead to arthritis, disc herniation or spinal stenosis which can put pressure on your spinal cord and nerves and may cause back pain. There are several non surgical & surgical treatment available that can only be decided based on your clinical examination findings.

I hope I have answered your query. In case if you have any further question I will be happy to help you.