Blood test showed HBsAb at borderline positive and HBsAg negative. What are the risks?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
my HBsAb was borderline positive and HBsAg negative. I had vaccination done lst year. today my blood was drawn to be tested for HBsAb and a few other tests as a part of preemployment screening. If my HBsAb is positive, will I be considered positive for HB? I also was vaccinated last year against Hep B with two shots, I will have to go back for the 3rd shot, I was supposed to receiev 3rd shot in april.
My q is will I be considered positive for Hep B If my HBsAb is positive borderline since It was positive last year. Will I be able to get this Job If my HBsAb is positive. Pls answer my Qs. I am really really upset.
My HbsAb was borderline, HBsAg was negative, and HBcAb was reatctive. I was told by the doctor that I donot have Hep B presently as my HbsAg is negative.
I als had vaccination last year.
my blod was drawn today for HbsAb as a part of preemployment screening. Please tll me, will I be able to pass this HBsAb preemployment screening If my HBsAb is positive borderline since it was positive last year.
I also had HB two shots last year. HBsAb can also be positive as a result of vaccination.If my HBsAb comes out positiveas apart of reemployement screening, will I be considered postive for Hep B or I would be considered vaccinated againt it.Will I be able to pass preemployment screeing If HBsAb is borderline positive. Please answer my query asap. I am relly very upset. Thank you.
Posted Mon, 12 Nov 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 27 minutes later
Please do not worry.
A positive test result means you have antibodies to hepatitis B. If you also test positive for HBcAb, then you were infected or exposed to hepatitis B virus in the past, cleared the virus, and are now "immune" (protected) against another infection with hepatitis B. If you test positive for HBsAb but negative for HBcAb, then you were vaccinated against hepatitis B and are protected by the vaccination.

So in your case anyways you are not suffering from hepatitis B as your doctor rightly said ( hbsag negative ) and even if Hbsab comes borderline positive it would most probably be attributed to vaccination or immunity .
As per medical guidelines you are to be considered fit even if this preemployment test shows positive Hbsab ( as long as your hbsag and other markers are negative ).
So you will not be excluded from your job opportunity on these grounds .

Wishing you all the best .
Hope I have answered your query.
Kindly accept my answer if you have no further queries.
Follow-up: Blood test showed HBsAb at borderline positive and HBsAg negative. What are the risks? 14 minutes later
do You think If my HBsAb comes out positive, will they do anymore testing on me. my HBsAg were nonreactive last year which is good but my HBcAb were reactive along with HBsAb.
My Q is XXXXXXX Is Human resouce going to order more tests after getting to know that my HBsAb is positive? please answer it. Trust me , This is the first opportunity in my life getting this nice job, i studied many years for it. I don't want to and can't afford to lose it.
please answer it asap. I'll appreciate it.
I thankyou for answering my Q.
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 6 hours later
Ideally yes , any person with Hbsab positive will have to undergo further tests like Hbsag and HbCAb for confirmation of the diagnosis .However I cannot say for sure whether your Company will carry out both tests . They might carry out hbsag only which when found negative they will be assured that you are positive due to vaccination and not disease .
However they might alternatively just check your previous reports and clinical history regarding vaccination to conclude your report .
If the Hbsag was non reactive last year with positive Hbsab and in the past year you had no additional risk of exposure then you have no reason to worry . It might most probably turn out that both your tests are negative or atleast hbsag would be negative , so you will not be turned down by the company .
I am sorry I cannot assure you that they will think in the same way but any doctor might come to a similar conclusion even if they do carry out further testing.
As of now since the results are still pending , I request you to have a positive attitude and I wish you the best of luck for your job.
Hope I have answered your query.
Follow-up: Blood test showed HBsAb at borderline positive and HBsAg negative. What are the risks? 8 hours later
1).Can I infect anyone through marriage, I am single now, I got infected with prick from Patient with Hep B postitive since I have been working i a medical field for years.
2).Can I Infect anyone at work through prick by mistake. Based on my negative HbsAg ( having no Hep B or no HBV DNA replication) or positive borderline HBsAb and positive HbcAb ( HBcAB Total W/Reflex IgM and HBcAB Total were Reactive last year), Will I be excluded from job with the fear tht I might infect anyone. pls answer.
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later
Thanks for the follow up.
Answer 1. Hepatitis C is not easily spread by sexual contact. However, there may be increased risk during menstruation or during anal intercourse without a condom.
Hepatits B can spread via sexual transmission so adequate precaution needs to be taken if hepatits b virus is present in blood ( hbsag positive or hbv DNA positive ).
Since your hepatits C antibody is positive kindly note the other modes of transmission.
Hepatitis C is spread by contact with infected blood.

This means that injecting drug use may spread the infection. Other common methods of transmission are tattoos, body piercing and acupuncture. Some people with hepatitis C were infected through blood transfusions before testing began.
Sometimes hepatitis C infection may be transmitted from mother to baby.
Household spread of hepatitis C is not common, but shared razors and toothbrushes may transmit blood (and hepatitis C).
The risk of transmission may be higher when a person has chronic hepatitis, which can cause liver damage.

Answer 2. A positive result for the hepatitis C antibody test means you have been infected with hepatitis C virus — now or in the past. Most people who test positive for the hepatitis C antibody still have the virus present in their body. The antibody test does not confirm this.

The hepatitis C PCR test can detect the hepatitis C virus itself. If the result is positive, it proves that you are carrying the virus, and you may be at risk of future complications, such as chronic hepatitis and risk of transmission to others . If the result is negative, it means either:
the hepatitis C virus is no longer present in your body, or
the hepatitis C virus is still present, but on the day of the test was at a very low level. This is common — the amount of hepatitis C virus in the blood frequently fluctuates.
So just based on your hepatits c antibody test it is difficult to say whether you are a risk to others & repeat viral marker tests might be mandatory before drawing any conclusion.
The decision for excluding you from the job would be strictly your employers and there is no such legal compulsion however it's legally compulsory for health care professionals to notify their boards if they are tested positive so that alternate arrangements at work place can be made to minimize the risk of transmission .

Hope I have answered your queries.