Blood test done. Found low wbc, rbc, hgb level and high atyp lymph. What does this mean?

I just got my blood work back and my wbc is 5.8, rbc 3.93 and hgb 12.2 all low for me, my hct is 35.7 low and my atyp lym are 3 high? what does this mean or could it be?
Posted Mon, 22 Apr 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 4 hours later

Amongst the above test readings, as you already know that hemoglobin is low and you will need iron supplements on daily basis to correct the lower level. The same applies to the low level of hematocrit (HCT)

Atypical Lymphocyte is a normal variant of the lymphocytes which are produced to fight an infection. It is the immune responses they carry out, for that purpose there undergo some physical changes like increased size, increased cytoplasm etc. Such lymphocytes can be seen in milder or subclinical forms of infections too.

It is not a consistent finding and these atypical lymphocytes disappear once the infection is cured.

Hope, I answered your query.

Please let me know if there are any other concerns.

Follow-up: Blood test done. Found low wbc, rbc, hgb level and high atyp lymph. What does this mean? 1 hour later
I talked to my doctor just now, and she seems to think that those are not low numbers? and I don't need any supplements, I agree with your answer but why would she not put me on something to bring the numbers up. Also I have no infection, so why else would atypical lymphocytes show up on my blood work. Last week by white blood cell count was at 3.2, I had the flu, that is why I had the follow up blood work today. One more question what do you mean atypical lymphocytes are not a consistent finding?

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 16 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

Considering your age and gender, hemoglobin in you should be around 13 to 15 mg%. Hence, I advised you to take iron supplements.Taking Iron supplements for a period of 3 months may rise the hemoglobin by not more than 2 gm%. I also agree that 12.2 is not serious enough to cause ill-health but not good to be ignored.

I already mentioned that atypical lymphocytes can be seen in milder or subclinical infections. Also the flu you had few days back could be the reason for such WBCs to appear in the blood smear.

The appearance of Atypical lymphocytes is not consistent, I mean to say that existence of atypical lymphocytes does not always mean that there is infection in the body. A milder form of immune process always runs in body against foreign and self agents continuously which can result in production of such cells.

Hope I cleared your doubts.

Wish you good health.