Blood results back. No hepatitis. Are the results bad?

HI I'm a male 6' 195 38yr old just got blood test back (life ins exam ) and have ast 49u/l , alt 82u/l with ggt at 69 u/l , i do not have hepatitis and all my other numbers where within lab range(see attched). I was a 2-3 night wine drinker and have stopped that to only a few a wk. what should i do and how bad are these results?
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 2 hours later
Thanks for posting the query.

After going through your query, I would like to comment the following:

1. At present you do not have any clinical complaints nor do you have any history of significant medical disease in the past.

2. You should stop your consumption of alcoholic drinks now onwards.

3. Though you do not have hepatitis please do get your abdominal sonography done to rule out the possibility of alcoholic fatty liver.

4. You liver function tests show a mild increase in sgot,sgpt and GGT. These could be due to early alcoholic liver disease.

5. You need not worry about this at current stage since you do not have any clinical symptoms.

6. However reduction/ cessation of your drinking habits will help you prevent development of irreversible alcoholic liver disease.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer any follow up queries.

Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra