Blood pressure,irregular systolic and dystolic pressure

I have been on blood pressure meds for about a year. Recently my systolic and dystolic pressures are getting close to one another, i.e. 105/95. Is it a problem for these numbers to approach one another? Why? What happens if they equal one another? Thanks
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for the query.

Your question is a good one and I will try to give you some information and recommendations regarding your blood pressure. Express as far as your blood pressure is concerned this is in excellent blood pressure which you report at 105/95.

It is not uncommon that there would be a 10 point difference between the systolic and diastolic blood pressures( simply called pulse pressure). This is usually about the shortest distance you might see between the two numbers. I have never seen a case where the systolic and diastolic blood pressure was equal. You should not worry about it. Research was more done on widening pulse pressure and not on reducing pulse pressure. Low pulse pressure is significant in chronic heart failure alone.

Regarding your blood pressure we would regard the diastolic number or the number 95 to be mildly elevated. Sometimes we refer to this as diastolic hypertension. I would encourage you to continue taking your blood pressure medication and try to incorporate some lifestyle changes. Typically in my patients who have this type of number I recommend a strict diet modification where added salt and high salt content foods are eliminated. In addition a exercise regimen where you would exercise at least four days per week for 30 to 45 min. should help to improve the number even more.

I am not concerned that you have any worrisome process going on other than mild hypertension. Your physician is currently treating you appropriately and I think some small lifestyle modifications might help to improve the diastolic number for you so that you can continue to enjoy a long healthy life.

Thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you're found my answer to be both helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga