Blood pressure drops when I stand up or sit. Causes ?

I'm a 32 yr old male and my blood pressure drops lowest when i stand up or sit up? why could that be
the top number is the one that drops
Posted Wed, 18 Jul 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 3 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query.
Before answering the question I need certain informations from you so that I am in a better position to reply.
Since when you are having this problem?
Do you get any symptom of fall in blood pressure?
What is BP before and after standing?
Are you suffering from any diabetes or kidney problem?
Any medications And dose of the medication being taken by you?

Waiting for your reply so that we can proceed ahead with our discussion.
Follow-up: Blood pressure drops when I stand up or sit. Causes ? 13 hours later
You mean to tell me I wasted the lat 10 bucks I had for a bullshit answer......I see why you do this on the internet rather than in a hospitol or your own clinic!!! My wife is an attorney and you now willl have bigger problems than being an unemployed physician!!!!
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 12 hours later

I did not mean that asking more questions irritates you so much. I was asking few relevant questions in your best interest.

Since you are young male, it needs a proper understanding what kind of symptoms do you have while changing the posture.

When an individual assumes the upright posture from sitting, cardiovascular adjustments occur to maintain the blood pressure. These actions include reflex arteriolar and venous constriction, reflex acceleration of heart rate,
increase in muscle tone, and an immediate increase in adrenal hormones. In normal subjects due to these adjustments that blood pressure remains largely constant, although a 10 to 15 mm Hg rise or fall in Systolic blood pressure (top number) is commonly noted by phsicians. A physicians would be concerned If systolic BP(top one) drops more than 20 mm Hg within 3 min after a stands upright from supine posture. The physician will evaluate further. Such scenario is called Orthostatic Hypotension.

I advise a slow change in posture ( from supine to standing) as it helps the body to adjust properly.

Hope I addressed it well this time.