Blood platelets dropped, fatigue, elevated AST, ALT. Family history of leukemia. What testing should I expect at Roswell Cancer Institute?

my blood platelets are 89 that has dropped from 138 since Feb. complete fatigue. the only other blood work that is elevated is AST 82, ALT 78. GP is sending me to Roswell Cancer Institute. What testing should I expect? And Could this be Leukemia? We have 2 familt members that had it. Any info would be appreciated
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Blood Cancer(Leukemia)
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Your mildly raised AST and ALT levels are not worrisome. The easy bruising that you are having is due to the decreased platelet count.
To take care of this decreased count, you have been referred to a Cancer institute.
Reduction in platelet count can be due to ---B -12 or folate deficiency, post bacterial or viral infection especially dengue, due to immune disorder, or various types of purpura. Since other counts are normal, leukemia is not a likely possibility.
You will need to have blood coagulation profile and steroids, immunoglobulins, blood transfusions, etc according to the severity of the condition.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Blood platelets dropped, fatigue, elevated AST, ALT. Family history of leukemia. What testing should I expect at Roswell Cancer Institute? 6 hours later
Is my platelets alone need to get checked out. Or should I just let it be? One Dr. Told me that it was not low. My inhuman seems really concerned with it dropping to 89. What do you think. Should i go to my appt. With hematologist or just wait to check a couple of months
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
Your platelet count is actually low and is worrisome. You need to go ahead with your appointment with hematologist. Please do not let it go like this. The cause needs to be investigated properly and treated.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.