Blood in urine, in semen, diagnosed with IgA nephropathy. Blood in semen linked to IgA?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I have been diagnosed with IgA Nephropathy, and occasionally when I urinate there is red blood. It comes and goes from time to time, but it has been in my urine for the past couple of weeks. I have also noticed that when i urinate blood, that there is also red blood in my semen. Would the semen in the blood be directly related to IgA, or something else, and if it is from my condition how is this possible

Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 9 hours later

Hematuria or gross blood in urine is a known symptom of IGA nephropathy since it damages the membrane of kidney which filters the urine.

But if semen is also showing blood then it could be most probably the residual blood in the urethra or an infection or inflammation of lower genitourinary tract.

In your case since there are no other symptoms like pain during intercourse, itching or fever etc the cause could be the residual blood.

It is possible because the semen and urine are excreted through a common pathway, the urethra, so though your semen is normal it may appear blood tinged.

If the problem persists you may consult your physician for a repeat investigations and if infection is detected then appropriate treatment wil resolve it.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Follow-up: Blood in urine, in semen, diagnosed with IgA nephropathy. Blood in semen linked to IgA? 35 hours later
Thanks Dr. XXXXXXX for the answer, it does answer my question. Just another quick question, since i do experience hematuria on a somewhat regular basis, more so when i experience a cold. Does the visible blood harm my kidney anymore when it is visible, opposed to when i cannot visually see it. And when I do have a cold, is it advisable to take medication for the cold, or let it run its course, since I do have this condition.

Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 11 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.

Gross (visible ) hematuria and microscopic hematuria both indicate the damage to kidneys . It can't be said that visible blood is more harmful than microscopic or vice versa. A more useful indicator of kidney damage is the urine protein loss where the degree of proteinuria somewhat roughly correlates with degree of damage.

Most of the medications especially Non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) like aspirin, ibuprofen for cold and fever do have renal excretion and the drugs are an additional load to kidneys. Hence, in minor colds it's advisable to refrain from medicines as far as possible and it's always best to avoid self medication with over the counter products.

Kindly consult your physician whenever your illness seems to worsening.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.