Blood drops from penis,no external injury,infection in urine culture in 7 year old

Hi Doc my 7 year old son had some blood drops this evening from his penis. took him to the doctor who did an examination and said there was no external injury - did a urine culture and said there was an infection. they are now culturing the urine which will take 3 days . I am worried - please help

thanks Vinod
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Prasad 3 hours later

Presence of blood in urine is indeed seen in some individuals suffering from renal stones (kidney stones). In the absence of other symptoms such as pain, fever, burning sensation of urine and so on, often the condition heals spontaneously. The recovery is aided by consuming plenty of water. But if he develops the later symptoms or if the culture reveals an infective agent appropriate antibiotics will be prescribed.

So wait till you get the culture reports. In the mean time, suggest to your son to drink lots of water.

If there is no history of similar symptoms in the past, it is unlikely to be a worrisome problem needing no further evaluation.

I hope my answer is reassuring to you. I am available to clarify your doubts if any.

Wish your son speedy recovery.