Blood around mouth and tongue in child having tonsils. Could this be from coughing?

Aug 2013

ENT Specialist
My five year old has been coughing and is stuffed up. We took him to the doctor yesterday because we thought his tonsils were swollen. Turns out he just has HUGE tonsils. We have an appointment with an ENT next month. He just woke up in the middle of the night with blood around his mouth, on his tongue and tonsils. No cuts or anything inside his mouth. Could this be from coughing? Should I go to the Emergency Room?
Posted Thu, 24 Oct 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sriram Nathan 29 minutes later
Hello and welcome to health care magic,

I am Dr Sriram Nathan an ENT surgeon and I will try to help you with your problem.

At the offset let me assure you that some amount of blood while coughing harshly is common especially after a bout of tonsillar infection and you have nothing to worry about. Just a few more things for you to be on the safer side:

1. Take only warm fluids and do not take anything spicy or oily.

2. If antibiotics have not been started then you may consult your doctor and start them as soon as possible

3. Reflux is also common in this age and especially after tonsillitis, you must thus start an anti reflux medication like lansoprazole in consultation with your doctor

4. If his infection is not getting controlled and if the bleeding does not stop then you need to take a throat swab and complete blood test including bleeding profile and ESR and get back to me or any ENT with the reports.

5. Advice him not to strain when he speaks and also not to clear his throat frequently

6. If he gets recurrent infection along with nose block then the ENT may even advice him for removal of his tonsils for better relief and cure

Finally, again I am mentioning that some amount of blood is normal so do not worry. Anyway since you have taken an appointment with the ENT then you are in the right track

If you have any more you may ask me

Dr Sriram Nathan
Follow-up: Blood around mouth and tongue in child having tonsils. Could this be from coughing? 5 minutes later
Thank you. It looks like he may have a raw spot on top of his tonsil that was bleeding. It has since stopped but i think i will put a call into the pediatrician in the morning just in case. Thank you again!
Answered by Dr. Sriram Nathan 0 minute later
hello and glad that I could help,

The raw spot could have very well caused the bleed

make sure he does not meddle with his throat and competes his medications properly

take care

Dr Sriram Nathan