Bleeding in early pregnancy. Mild endometrial thickening seen on pelvis test. Any complication?

HI Doctor , My period 2 weeks late now , my last perdiod was 19th Feb and I did Home made Pregency test we got Positive result .Suddenly today i'm bleeding and then i went doctor she propsed to Pelvis test .
Pelvis showing mild endomentraial thickening seen in right 11mm ....can please explain what is happening ???
Posted Fri, 19 Apr 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 24 minutes later

With your history and the present symptoms, there are two possibilities. Firstly, you could be suffering from a threatened abortion or a missed pregnancy. Secondly, the pregnancy may not be intrauterine as your sonogram failed to show a gestation sac which should have been visualized at this stage.

If you have had regular 28-30 day cycles previously, your pregnancy should be around 6 weeks now. A trans-vaginal sonogram at this stage would show a gestation sac with yolk sac,fetal pole and a fetal heart.

Please correlate the sonogram findings with your physical examination and follow your doctor's instructions. If you have a threatened abortion, you will need absolute bed rest until after all the symptoms subside, total abstinence, avoidance of stress both physically and mentally and progesterone supplements. If otherwise and unfortunately, the fate of the pregnancy is not good, you may have to get an evacuation.

You can ask your doctor for a second sonogram with higher resolution before deciding on the fate of your pregnancy. You can also correlate the findings with serial titres of serum beta-hCG measurement. Doubling of titres on alternate days signifies good outcome while a declining value indicates an abortion.

Hope I have clarified your doubt. If you have further queries, please feel free to ask. I will be happy to help.

Follow-up: Bleeding in early pregnancy. Mild endometrial thickening seen on pelvis test. Any complication? 17 minutes later
Dear Shanthi ,

Thanks for your info ...

I have bleeding like normal monthly periods with back pain .is there any specif symtoms to checks ? ( Like Bleeding color .... etc)

more over my legs becoming fat , if i sit some time .

Regards, XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 15 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

If you are aborting a pregnancy, the bleeding would be in clumps along with clots, darker in color and could be associated with cramping pain. If not, you could only be having a delayed period with a false positive pregnancy test. False positive tests can occur due to an error in application of the test, medicines containing hCG and tests done with kits that have expired.

Please correlate with your consultant and follow instructions.

Hope I have clarified your doubt. Please get back if you need further clarifications. I will be ready to help.