Bleeding during intercourse, stomach cramps, enlarged uterus due to fibroids, done pap test

Hi, I went for my annual pap test on Monday (I was told my uterus was slightly enlarged and a sonohystogram is scheduled for next month) and today after having sex I have some bleeding and menstrual-like cramps, but it is not time for my period. My doctor said the enlarged uterus could be due to fibroids, pollyps, etc.). I'm 38, 5'5", 150 lbs, no major health problems, 1 child - 19 years old.
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
A single episode of bleeding after having sex is not something to be concerned about.
If it repeats and a bright red blood comes out then we need to have a vaginal smear examination to rule out vaginosis.
It is best right now to wait for your PAP smear report as in most of the cases chronic cervicitis is the cause. Any infection or abnormal cells might also be detected.
Till the time your reports come, it is best to avoid having sex.
Hope this answers your query.I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.