Bleeding after having sex, heard popping. Is it possible that hymen was intact even after sex?

I am a 4o-something year old woman who has been sexually active for 20 years with no more than 4 sexual partners to count. I had a hysterectomy at 30 in which they also removed my cervix. Up to this point in my life my partners have been what I thought was considered "average" in penis size. My new lover is a very, very, well endowed man, both in length and width. When we first had sex, I felt something pop inside and there was definitely a lot of blood afterwards. There were no outer rips or tears.

Not to insult my ex husband, but in comparison, he was very, very small. Approximately the size of a man's middle finger.

Is it possible that after all this time, my hymen was partially in tact? Can you be a partial virgin?
Posted Tue, 2 Oct 2012 in Women Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 3 hours later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

In general, when you have a hysterectomy and it is performed correctly, there should not be any decrease in the length of the vagina. So in terms of what "popped" and bled, I do not think it is related to the closure of the vagina at the top inside.

That being said, I think that your guess is probably correct. You probably "widened" the hymen with your larger partner and this area just at the outside of the vaginal opening is quite fragile. This is the best explanation for what you experienced.

Here is what I would recommend:

1. Abstain from intercourse for at least 1 week while whatever area that is in question heals (or you will just re-injure it and cause more bleeding)
2. Make sure that lubrication is not an issue (consider Astroglide)
3. If when you resume sexual activity with this person, there is any pain or bleeding, then schedule a visit with your OB/GYN to examine the vagina for the source of bleeding
4. CONSIDER seeing your OB/GYN before resuming sexual activity to make sure that there is no area of concern that needs additional healing time or attention

I hope this helps! - DR XXXXXXX