Black mole near the anus, irritation on scratching. How to get it removed?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
nervous about a mole near the anus. just noticed it but hard to see. which doctor should I see for this? Dermatologist? How would it be removed? Wouldn't it be extremely painful to do local anesthesia? It seems to be black or dark in color. Not painful to touch. Only irritated if scratched.

I'm 42. 5'3" and 155 lb. I have many moles and freckles and have not had any cancerous moles removed.
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 25 minutes later

A mole is usually benign harmless condition untill it changes shape, size or colour over time. Hence commonly we suggest close watch on the moles to observe for these changes:
- Asymmetry (irregular shape)
- Change in the border of the mole (expanding in size or not)
- Change in colour
- Diameter (More than 6mm diameter is suspicious)

Since you noticed a mole near the anus it is highly recommended to get subjected for examination and observation to rule out possible malignancy. Moles can also occur at hidden sites like inside the anus, rectum, vagina as well. You may to consult a Dermatologist to evaluate the mole. You may also need to consult General surgeon to look for suspicious moles. Proctoscopic examination is entailed.

Removal of mole can be done either by surgical excision where local anaesthesia is given by a thin needle surrounding the mole. Local anaesthesia feels like a small pinch similar to any injection but the procedure of removal will be painless. After the procedure, dressing and antibiotics will be administered. You should be fine in a week or two. Another form of treatment involving Laser removal is also available. If the mole needs excision you will need a Cosmetic surgeon to perform this procedure.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.