Black circle with pinkness inside of cheek. What could this be?

i have a black circle with a little pink in middle on the inside of my cheek all of a sudden but it doesn't hurt.. i felt it with my tongue becaue it fels a little papery..what could it be?
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 2 hours later

Thanks for posting your query. You say you have developed a small black circle with a pink centre on the inside of your cheek that is painless and feels papery.

There are various possibilities for this--the most likely one is there has been a minor abrasion due to some sharp food item, or something you chewed that has led to the lesion, and it is now healing on its own. You just came to know about it because you felt something with your tongue.
There can be numerous other possibilities like a sharp tooth causing abrasion, infections, immunity related problems or even cancer. But I think since it is painless, let us leave it alone to heal on its own. But do see if you have a sharp tooth on the affected side that can lead to the problem. And if it does not subside in a week or continues to increase in size, please consult your doctor or a dentist for a hands-on diagnosis.

Do get back if you have a follow up query.

Follow-up: Black circle with pinkness inside of cheek. What could this be? 3 hours later
what kind of symptoms would i be experiencing if it was cancerous?? or a malignant situation? should i see a dentist or regular doctor?

Thanks for writing back.

In fact, you will have no symptoms if it is cancerous in the early stages. It is called Leukoplakia and is greyish white and slightly raised.

You can see your regular doctor and he can refer to a dentist if he feels it is needed.

I hope, this helps to clear your doubt. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Wish you good health.