Bitten by dog and bruised slightly. Touched the area and smoked. Any risk of infection?

i got bit by a dog i did not know, the dog was in the ghetto at a black persons house. my point being with that is i doubt its ever had any shots. the bite did not break skin or leave a scratch but did bruise slightly. im concerned about being infected with rabies. i did not wash the "bite", the dog was aggressive with me only but i was a stranger on its territory but was normal with the owners. the only way the bite could have come in contact with my mouth is on the long shot that i touched it then smoked a cig placing my fingers near my mouth. im concerned with my risk of infection and honestly am kinda paranoid with the whole thing and want to know my risk and or would it be a waist of time going to see a doctor even.
Posted Sun, 27 Oct 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Frankly this needs little medical management.

Detailed Answer:

Dog bites are categorized based on severity of bite. Any bite where there is no bleeding falls under "category II" unless the superficial scratch (bruise) was not licked by the dog.

According to this classification, you seem to have had II category dog bite. The risks of rabies infection with II category wound is very sparce to impossible. Therefore I and all my colleague physician manage such wound with tetanus shot and antibiotic drugs alone. I would suggest you to visit a local doctor only if you haven't had tetanus shot in the last 5 years.

The described contact with mouth is of no clinical significance and doesn't concern me. It doesn't add to the risk of infection.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarification.