Bitten by dog above knees and took injections. Dog died. Suggest further treatment and the precautions to be taken

Dear Sir
My maid servant actually she is just like a part of our family,while going to a market she was bitten by a dog just above her knees,well she was given 4 injections at a local hospital by her family physicians.

Incidently the dog which bite her just died,could you kindly advise as to what preautions and treatement we should proceed with her now

with regards
Posted Fri, 15 Nov 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

From your description it seems that your maid was bitten by a dog a few ago and she was given antirabies vaccine - 4 doses till now. Now the dog has died. Please correct me if I am wrong. My following advice is as per this description.

At this point I will state a few things.

Rabies usually develops within 5 days of bite. Rabies virus usually transmits if the skin has been punctured during the bite. Starting the course of anti-rabies vaccine is protective. Thus she is mostly protected against the virus (if she has taken the vaccine after the bite). The dog may have died due to some other reason, not related to rabies.

That said, I think she should complete the vaccination program post-exposure. Thus consult her treating doctor to complete the course of vaccinations along with tetanus shot (if not given already). We may also check if she has local infection of the wound and take antibiotics accordingly.

I think nothing more needs to be done.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr Vaishalee