Bitten by a mosquito behind ear, itching, red bumps, hard lump under the skin. Treatment for the lump?

ENT Specialist
My daughter got stung with a mosquito behind her right ear last night. Next day, she was itching it and said she felt a bump. When I checked there was a red bump, but what has me concerned is that when I press deeper I feel a hard lump under the skin. I am not sure if that was there before or it just showed up. Can you tell me what it could be please?
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 36 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. As long as it is a mosquito bite and not any other insect, the hard lump is probably due to scratching or rubbing the area.

2. An inflamed lymph node or a deeper (normal) neck structure would also be felt as such a lump. Is it painful or tender?

3. A close-up photograph would help in suggesting treatment, if any. Usually no treatment besides a local ointment is required.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.

Follow-up: Bitten by a mosquito behind ear, itching, red bumps, hard lump under the skin. Treatment for the lump? 8 hours later
Thank you doctor, i just received your answer.

Are you saying that the hard lump deeper in the neck is because of mosquito bite? I cannot see the lump unless I really feel for it.
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 6 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

1. If you are feeling a lump deeper than the skin, it is most likely to be a lymph node. There are normally around 300 lymph nodes in the head and neck region. Local swelling, inflammation following itching due to a mosquito bite in the overlying skin or any other infective focus in that area may cause a lymph node draining that area to react.

2. Behind the ear you would be able to palpate the retro-auricular and sub-occipital groups of lymph nodes, the tip of the mastoid bone, the parotid gland (sometimes) and neck muscles.

In your daughter's case, most probably it seems like enlarged lymph node.

If there are no any other external signs or symptoms, there is no need to investigate or treat this.

You may get it examined by a local physician/Pediatrician to ease your worry.

Hope, this answers your query.

Wishing her speedy recovery.