Biopsy showed negative for cancer, mild change in PSA level. Family history of prostate cancer

i am 57 years old with no known family history of prostate cancer. My psa is currentlly 16.9 with a free psa of 1.7. I have had three negative prostate biopsies showing chronic prostititis and an enlarged prostate. My last biopsy was 3.5 years ago. My psa levels were stabilizing at 12 for the last three years. I have occasional urinary problems. My first psa at 46 was 4.5. My most recent psa jumped from 12.2 to 16.9. I had an upper respiratory problem at the time. I get psa tests every 3 months. Please advise.
Posted Thu, 4 Apr 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 2 hours later
Dear friend, welcome and thanks for entrusting your query here at Healthcaremagic!
I am Dr. Prasad Akole (Critical Care Expert- and am glad to address to your query here.

It is good to read that you are so careful about your health.

As your repeated biopsies are negative for cancer and there is only mild change in PSA level, there is no reason to be anxious.

PSA levels fluctuate a lot and are raised due to infections like prostatitis, UTI (protein levels and prostate handling.

You also have Inflammatory Bowel Syndrome (IBS).

I think you do not have the fear of cancer. The prostatitis and enlargement can be helped by your regular follow-ups with an urologist, per rectal prostate exams and PSA occasionally as per urologist’s advice.

Do you get fever, UTIs frequently?
What medicines are you on for prostate?

I hope to have answered your query satisfactorily. I would be glad to answer any further queries. Please ask for any clarifications before closing and rating this answer.
Take care and please keep me informed of your progress at
Good Luck! Thank you!!