Biopsy showed follicular hyperplasia. Could it be cancer?

i have just had a biopsy come back as Follicular hyperplasia. what is that ? Is it cancer or does it mimic cancer and still need to be distinguished from Lymphoma ? I have all the symptoms of lymphoma thus the biopsy in the fist place. Thanks !
Posted Tue, 9 Oct 2012 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

This is a very good question and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations.

The findings from the pathologist indicated that there is a proliferation of lymphocytes in that particular lymph node. This does not necessarily mean you have lymphoma.

Other things need to be considered in your case. If a diagnosis of lymphoma is considered additional testing is indicated including laboratory tests such as LDH as well as a PET scan and active lymphoma treatment would be considered if you have a XXXXXXX or low platelet counts. If your hemoglobin level is otherwise normal and there is no evidence of low platelets and you're not dealing with weight loss or excessive night sweats treatment would not be considered.

Again I am not convinced you have lymphoma. You may have a state where your lymph nodes are inflamed but this does not necessarily mean malignancy.

For you assuming the other tests are normal I would observe things for now with interval testing every two or three months. If there is some degree of progression of symptoms or worsening in your blood counts then a treatment might be considered.

I can appreciate that you're dealing with a situation which is very stressful. I hope I can provide you with adequate information and reassurance. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to discuss those with you also.

Dr. Robert