Best solution for big hole in the ear drum

ENT Specialist
what is the solution for a big hole in ear drum (Kan Ka Parda). I have taken advice from two different doctors. one is saying that "required Operation" Another is saying that "there is a solution in market, by apllying this it will fill the hole. Its costing is Rs. 7000 to 8000. Both doctor tested for audio test and report is normal. So pls advise what is the best solution.
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later

Thanks for the query

Perforation (hole) of the ear drum is one of the commonest ENT problems encountered. It happens due to blockage of the Eustachian tube (the tube which connects nose and the ear), leading to reduced ventilation in the middle part of the ear causing secretions to get accumulated, followed by rupture or retraction of the ear drum.

There are various surgeries performed depending upon the size and location of the perforation. A small perforation heals spontaneously, whereas a medium or a large perforation has to be repaired.

Repairing of the ear drum is not an urgent operation, it can be performed any time. As she is pregnant now, it is better to plan for the surgery on a later date. The techniques of closing the perforation vary from doctor to doctor and the institution. Collagen glue is the one which helps in holding the graft over the perforation; it costs approximately seven to ten thousand INR per tube. Some doctors have been successful in doing so, but many prefer a traditional way of closing the perforation, that is by incising the ear from behind and laying the graft. Both methods give equally good results if performed meticulously.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon