Been suffering from severe headaches, shooting eye pain, have migraines and dry eyes. Using genteal and systane. What is the cure?

Emergency Medicine Specialist
Hi doctor...I have been suffering from severe headaches since long and shooting eye pain in the 2 points just above the forehead. I do not have migrane says the doctor , but i do have a severe case dry eyes. Have been putting genteal, systane trying to cure it through drops but no relief. My eyes create cracking sound inside the eye and the upper lid sticks to the eye while i try to open.Its like pins and needles sensation. I have been having dispirins, steam inhalations, painkillers non stop to flow through one day without the headache and eye pain but now painkillers have stopped working or effecting too since long. Off late my jaw pains and its a tight pain in jaws along with the eyes like as if nerves are connected and jaws crack too. it has been unbearable to continue to work in this condition or do anything since a few weeks. The opthalmogist says eye is fine except severe dry eyes and neuroogist i consulted once , he too says nothing. But i need diagnosis and a cure.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Carol Rogala 18 hours later

Thank you for your query.

I would not suggest steam by your eyes; it may actually make things worse. In addition to the eye drops that the opthomologist gave you, you may want to try the over the counter eye lubricants like Refresh Tears 3-4 times a day. Sometimes people with this condition also have arthritis or allergies. I would suggest that you see XXXXXXX Medicine doctor for more work up to find a clearer diagnosis.

As to your headaches, you also mentioned severe jaw pain and cracking noises. It sounds as though you may have Temporal Joint Syndrome which is a problem in the jaw joint which may be caused by previous trauma to the head or malocclusion. What happens is the large muscle on the side of your head, which is shaped liked a fan goes into a spasm and because it is attached to the jaw, is responsible for both the pain and the cracking noises. If it is worse in the morning, you are probably grinding your teeth at night. Frequently this condition has a lot to do with tension.

You should be seen by a dentist to determine if it is caused by malocclusion of the jaw. In the meantime, narcotics will not help the pain. You will need a drug like Ibuprofen and a muscle relaxant.

I hope this is helpful,

Carol Rogala D.O.