Bed-ridden, kidney infection, low creatinine, weight loss, low hemoglobin, low BP, cathered

Question
My mother age is 65. Since 3 years she is bed-ridden.
She had kidney infection and low creatinine level till last december.[she suffered with this for almost a year.] Now this is normal.
But due to prolonged illness.... she lost her weight drastically and now it is 28 kg. She has low Haemoglobin count of 10.1 gms 68.7%. She can't walk on her own and unable to do any activities. The only good thing is that she can still recognise faces. What should i do?

She was treated for known case of pripolar m.d.p in 1995.
Since 2007 onwards.. her b.p lowers frequently, she got kidney infection which has been treated successfully. She has been fitted with cathered since 2 years, as she is too weak to walk. Her haemoglobin is low.
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Kidney Conditions

Answered by Dr. Tulasi Raman.P 1 hour later

From your history I understand the following:

1. Your mother had kidney infection which has been treated.
2. Her present weight is 28 kg
3. She does not have the strength to walk by herself needs support of others
4. Her mental functions are normal
5. Known case of MDP (Major Depressive Psychosis)
6. Catheterized since two years
7. Hemoglobin is low

It will be very helpful for me in understanding your condition better if you could answer some of these questions:

1. Could you tell me what kidney infection it is ?
2. Is she suffering from any other medical illness like Diabetes, High Blood Pressure, Asthma etc
3. What are her recent lab report values ?
4. Why is she catheterized ?
5. Is she able to speak ?
6. Any other information, you think that doctor should know about.
Send your reports to this email Id " YYYY@YYYY " with subject line as "ATTN - Dr.Tulasi Raman.P"

Awaiting your reply.

Follow-up: Bed-ridden, kidney infection, low creatinine, weight loss, low hemoglobin, low BP, cathered 11 hours later
Dear Mr. XXXXXXX

Prior to your queries regarding my mother, please see my answers in italics:

1. Could you tell me what kidney infection it is ? I have enclosed the reports, kindly refer that.
2. Is she suffering from any other medical illness like Diabetes, High Blood Pressure, Asthma etc --
she has problem of mild bronchitis [cough], and frequent low blood pressure.

3. What are her recent lab report values ? Attach herewith in the mail.
The attachment ReportAndPrescription.zip contains two files:

1. ReportAndPrescription 01.pdf [contains all the Reports and Prescription since 1995]
2. ReportAndPrescription 02.pdf [latest report and Prescription.]

4. Why is she catheterized ? As she is too weak, and its almost impossible for her to walk thats why she is catherized.

5. Is she able to speak ? Yes she is able to speak and recognise the faces.

6. Any other information, you think that doctor should know about. My mother is in Patna, and some people (not doctors) have suggested us to go to PGI, CHandigarh. Although we can be able to go there, but just wanna confirm, whether this can be treated at my home town only.

Hope the attached detail reports and my answers will help to understand the condition better.
Appreciate an earliest response from your end.

Amar XXXXXXX Tripathi.

Answered by Dr. Tulasi Raman.P 11 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for getting back to me with the reports.

After going through the reports I am of the opinion that her kidney has not yet recovered completely from the previous condition.

This also could be due to Renal Failure (mild degree) as her creatinine and blood urea are in the upper limit of the normal range. This also explains her low hemoglobin level.

As there is no substitute for direct history taking and physical examination I suggest you to consult a General Physician (M.D.General Medicine), she may have to be admitted for few days in a hospital for further investigations and treatment.

This can be treated in a district hospital at your hometown itself.

I wish your mother a speedy recovery.