Banding done for hemorrhoids. Prescribed with Metrogyl. Is it right medication?

i am having piles, and today my doctor has done banding in the infected area. In the prescription which is not legible, i feel doctor has written as metrogyl 400 mg. Medical shop owner also got confused whehter it is right medicine. Kindly advice
Posted Tue, 26 Jun 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Chandana Krishna 1 hour later
Thank you for writing in.
It is likely that the medication prescribed by your physician is Metrogyl only. If however you have the slightest doubt, the best way would be to call your physician up and find out. Metrogyl is a very effective drug given for many conditions which includes infection of surgical site especially involving gastrointestinal tract(from mouth to anus) or near it.
Since surgery of piles is done in anal area which is storehouse of all kinds of bacteria, infection of site is very common. Metrogyl effectively takes care of all infection causing organisms.
Its more effective if given with fluoroquinolones like ciprofloacin or ofloxacin. I would suggest that you keep the site clean and dry. Get dressing done regularly.
Hope my answer was of help.Feel free to ask if you have any doubt.
Thank you.