Bald patch in the vagina, hair around the patch, smooth . Causes?

Dermatologist
Question
hi, ive noticed for some time now i have a bald patch on my vagina its wierd can you tell me why?
i have hair around the patch but on the patch its really smooth skin?
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 4 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX,
A bald patch with normal looking hair on surroundings can be due to Alopecia areata. This is an autoimmune condition. In this condition, the patient loses hair on any site on the body temporarily and recovers after a few weeks
Treatment of alopecia areata involves topical steroids and topical immunomodulators. You would also need to be screened for diabetes, hypertension and atopic dermatitis
I would suggest that you keep a watch on lesion as it may spontaneously resolve in due course of time.
I would also suggest that you consult a dermatologist who would be able to examine you and provide appropriate therapy.
I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Wishing you a happy new year...
Best regards
Dr Rohit Batra

Follow-up: Bald patch in the vagina, hair around the patch, smooth . Causes? 11 hours later
thank you for your reply, just one more thing my mother has vitiligo is that heriditory and if so could it be that? she has other autoimnune problems ulcerative collitis, male absorbtion, dividiculitis, are these heriditory ?

Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 11 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX,

You seem to be little afraid because of multiple problems in your mother.

Family history of vitiligo has been seen in some case but not always. So do not worry.

The bald patch on vagina, I presume the skin visible on patch is normal color, its not white or dull in color. its unlikely to be of vitiligo.

still you may get it reconfirmed from Dermatologist.

I hope, this helps. If you have no more queries in future, then please accept my reply.
Wishing you a very happy new year.

With Regards.
Dr Rohit Batra