Balance problem, moving in swaying motion, blocked nose, dry mouth, tension headache, mucus coating in mouth. Linked?

Hi I have had a balance problem for a number of years. It seems like when Im stood still I am moving constantly in a swaying motion It has got so bad that I no longer go to pubs ect for the fear of having to stand up and grab onto the nearest person/pillar to keep my balance. It is also really bad in places like supermarkets and shopping malls. The last several months I have also noticed my nose is constantly blocked and my throat/mouth is completely dry when waking up and there is a brown coloured mucus coating which I spit out every morning. I also suffer pretty badly with tension headaches which can last several days. I am pretty stressed/anxious at work at the minute Are these two things likely to be linked. I did see my GP about a year ago and was given some medication for a type of Vertigo however it did not seem to help.
Posted Tue, 25 Sep 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Rajeev Chavda 47 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query. I am happy to address your questions,Vertigo is the feeling that you or your environment is moving or spinning. It differs from dizziness in that vertigo describes an illusion of movement. When you feel as if you yourself are moving, it's called subjective vertigo, and the perception that your surroundings are moving is called objective vertigo. Vertigo can be caused by problems in the brain or the inner ear. Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) is the most common form of vertigo and is characterized by the sensation of motion initiated by sudden head movements or moving the head in a certain direction. This type of vertigo is rarely serious and can be treated (as in your case). Vertigo may also be caused by inflammation within the inner ear (vestibular neuritis), which is characterized by the sudden onset of vertigo and may be associated with hearing loss. The most common cause of labyrinthitis is infection. Meniere's disease is composed of a triad of symptoms including: episodes of vertigo, ringing in the ear and hearing loss. People with this condition have the abrupt onset of severe vertigo, fluctuating hearing loss, as well as periods in which they are symptom-free. Migraine, a severe form of headache, may also cause vertigo. The vertigo is usually followed by a headache. In addition to the drugs used for benign paroxysmal positional vertigo, several physical maneuvers can be used to treat the condition. Vestibular rehabilitation exercises, consist of having to sit on the edge of a table and lie down to one side until the vertigo resolves followed by sitting up and lying down on the other side, again until the vertigo ceases. This is repeated until the vertigo no longer occurs. Will recommend you visit your clinician as only medications will not be helpful, it needs a comprehensive approach based on the underlying cause. Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be happy to help. Thanks
Follow-up: Balance problem, moving in swaying motion, blocked nose, dry mouth, tension headache, mucus coating in mouth. Linked? 2 hours later
Hi would the constant blocked nose and dry throat be an issue with vertigo my throat/mouth seems to be ok during the day but when i first wake up it is extremely dry with a brown covering/awful taste. I cant breathe through my nose as its always blocked
Answered by Dr. Rajeev Chavda 14 hours later
Thanks for your kind response, yes even blocked sinuses and cold can also bring about infection in the inner ear resulting in vertigo symptoms. As it needs a comprehensive approach and not standalone medications, a complete therapy is advocated with rehabilitation neck exercises as well as anti-vertigo medications and will take sometime to subside. As proposed kindly visit your clinician who will propose based on the underlying cause. If you have no further clarifications, will request you to kindly close the query and rate it. Thanks