Back pain mostly in morning

I get back pain every day morning and gradually it reduce and again next day morning it comes back.
I use ‘Sleep well flexi puff’ mattress from last 9 years. I have never get any complain
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 1 hour later

Thanks for the query

Regarding the back pain which is improves as the day progress (improves with activity) possibilities I can consider in you are Lumbar spondylosis. When spondylosis occurs and compresses the spinal nerve(lumbar radiculopathy) pain, tingling, numbness, and muscle weakness may result. Often, the first signs of lumbar spondylosis are morning stiffness and pain. Other causes of morning stiffness are inflammatory arthropathy of the spine.

Diagnosis of lumbar spondylosis is usually done by physical and neurological examination and imaging studies (such as x-rays, CT scan, or MRI). Once a diagnosis of lumbar spondylosis is confirmed, a treatment regimen is established. Most benefit from muscle relaxants, anti-inflammatory medication, and physical therapy.

So I personally request you to see your Neurologist for a good clinical examination and consultation. Another key method of treating spondylosis is using a good mattress. If you sleep on a firm inner spring mattress, you may be causing more harm than good. You should talk to your physician about what is best for your condition and about using specialty sleep products like air beds, latex beds and waterbeds.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you find my response to be both helpful and adequate. If you have any additional concerns regarding your question I would be happy to address them.

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist