Back pain, headache and thigh numbness after spinal surgery and C-section. Does this require attention?

Pain and nerve problems after spinal and c-section. The c-section was 3 months ago. There were problems administering the spinal for surgery. Persistent back pack (lower) accompanied with a headache (between eyes) and upper right thigh goes numb periodically. Symptoms showed up the day after surgery. Need to know if this is something that requires attention.
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 1 hour later

I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Important aspects of your query are:
•     24 year old female
•     History of: 2 live births via c-section (2009 and 2011), Skin grafts in 2004, gallbladder surgery in 2009 ( 4 surgeries total)
•     Complaints of: Pain in back and between eyeballs, episodic numbness in upper right thigh

Usually after spinal anaesthesia patient develops post spinal headache which usually resolved in 1-2 weeks. Even trauma to local area during procedure healed in 1-2 week. Any spinal injury will not explain all these three symptoms.

As numbness in thigh region is episodic that indicates there is permanent damage to neurons.

Considering your case following possibilities came into my mind in following hierarchy:

1.     Anxiety and stress: As it can explain all these three symptoms. Apart from that recent C section and child birth is an acute stress and history of 4 surgeries is a chronic stress in your case.
2.     Infection in XXXXXXX genital region: can also lead to all these symptoms but it usually associated with fever which I think not present in your case.
3.     Disc Prolapse: Usually pain is very severe and may need immobilisation. But will not explain headache.

Following measures are helpful in your case:
•     Consultation with gynaecologist to rule infection in XXXXXXX genital region after physical examination and lab testing.
•     Take healthy food with lots of fruits and XXXXXXX vegetables.
•     Daily aerobics, meditation and XXXXXXX breathing exercise to reduce stress and anxiety.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.