Back pain. What can help a person who has to stand a lot?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am suffering from back ache since 1 month specially when i get up from my seat or even when i get up from bed. Though the pain has subsidised there is still some pain.
I am a trainer and my work requires me to stand most of the time of the day. Kindly suggest some exercise which will give me relief. Thanks
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 39 minutes later
Thanks for writing in.
The mild occasional back pain that you are having is probably due to muscle strain or abnormal body posture.
I would suggest the following:
a.     A mild analgesic like acetaminophen, hot fomentation and application of a local analgesic gel locally usually helps in bringing relief.
b.     While resting, keep a pillow under your knees if it doesn't bother you.
c.     Avoid lifting heavy objects.
d.     Back strengthening exercises and stretching exercises for your hamstrings daily will be helpful. You can consult your physiotherapist for the appropriate stretches. You can view the exercises at- WWW.WWWW.WW
e.     Avoid exercising when you are in pain.
f.     Improvise your posture while sitting. Try and keep your back straight while sitting, standing and lying down.
I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Dr. Praveen Tayal