Back of earring fallen into ear canal. What should I do?

Hi. I was putting an earring on, and I think that the earring back might have fallen into my ear canal. What should I do?
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 17 minutes later

First of all you need to ask somebody with you to look for it with a good light source. Normally the back of earring is not pointed and it cannot lead to any major harm.

Please do not manipulate it or else it may lead to some injury inside the ear.

It can stay there without causing much problem if left untouched for some time. Ultimately you have to get it removed by a qualified nurse or doctor.

Any foreign body inside ear can lead to infection.

Please get in touch with your primary care physician or any nursing assistant who can remove it. In most of the case this can be removed easily.

In very few cases when is lodged XXXXXXX inside you might need help from E.N.T. Surgeon.

I hope this answers your query, I will be glad to reply any follow up queries.
Please accept the answer in case you do not have follow up query.