Back and leg pain, prolonged periods, fibroids, ultrasound and pap smear done, need to do myomectomy

I'm 40 yrs old. My symptoms started when I was 38 with back pain. My symptoms have gradually increased to occasional leg pain and prolonged periods lasting 10-12 days. My pap smears have been normal. I've had several pelvic ultrasounds as well as hysterosonograms. These revealed numerous fibroids. One that is in the wall of the uterus but impinging on the uterine lining. I've seen 2 different GYNs. I've been told I need a myometomy. I had a pelvic exam last thurs (9/8) that included a pap & a saline ultrasound. I spotted for 2 days and then 2 days after I noticed a pinkish drainage. My periods often begin & end with spotting for several days. My doc saids its due to the fibroids. My period is due in 4 days. My cycle has become very irregular, anywhere from 24-28 days. I'm scared it could be something more serious. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Meenakshi Titoria Sahu 13 hours later

It would have been good, if you had given the details about your family ? It would have helped us in formulating a treatment plan.

Based on your description, it is very likely the cause of prolonged menstrual period has been fibroid. It can be treated either conservatively or surgically.

I think since fibroid is of small size and not impinging in cavity very much- you can consider mirena IUCD insertion in consultation with your doctor otherwise myomectomy is the answer which can be done laproscopically/ hysteroscopically.

Fibroids are not cancerous so do not be afraid but you definitely need definite treatment.

Hope this is helpful. Should you have any further queries, I will be available to address them.

Best wishes,